When I reached my 37th week in my pregnancy, I have only one goal—to GIVE BIRTH ASAP! Aside from my tummy getting heavier as the weeks go by, I was having a hard time sleeping, and I was eating a lot. I thought if I won’t pop anytime soon, my baby would be too big for another VBAC. My VBA2C baby (my third baby) was 7.7 pounds when he came out, and I tore up big time, so I wanted to keep the weight low for the fourth baby. So I did a lot of walking every day, which was an effort on my part because I had a goal, which was to give birth end of April or first week of May. However, during my second to the last checkup, my OB told me she was going out of town for a few days. But I wanted her to be the one to assist me during my childbirth, so I decided to slow down with the activities during that week, and resume when she was back. Turned out, she came back, and still labor hasn’t started yet. First week of May, my husband had an out of town meeting, and I prayed that my baby won’t be out while my husband wasn’t present during my labor. Finally, second week came, and still no baby. So I read some articles online on how to induce labor naturally, and here’s what I got and actually applied to get my labor starting:
- Spicy Food—Days before giving birth, I attended a party. My friends were already asking me why I haven’t popped yet. One of the ways to induce labor is eat spicy food. So I did just that. I felt several strong contractions that night, and I somehow believed that I was on my way to the DR, but the contractions didn’t progressed to the actual labor.
- Coconut Water—My mother-in-law told me that drinking coconut water helped in inducing labor. At this point in my pregnancy, I would believe anything. So my husband bought several coconut so I can drink the water. It got my well hydrated and probably helped the baby into labor.
- Evening Primrose—When I went to my OB, she was a bit alarmed that I was way past 40 weeks. She prescribed to me evening primrose to soften my cervix. I bought several pieces, but I was only able to use two pieces and got into labor.
- Lovemaking—Another natural method to soften the cervix is through lovemaking. Actually, it’s not the sex per se that stimulates labor. Semen, which contains natural prostaglandin, helps in ripening the cervix. It may help to lie down or put a pillow under your lower area to let the prostaglandin stay against the cervix longer. In addition, the hormone that is responsible for contractions—oxytocin—is the same hormone released during orgasm. Mixed with prostaglandins, no wonder lovemaking is believed to stimulate labor.
- Visualization and Affirmation—I’m a total believer in visualizing your intentions and using affirmations. In my mind’s eye, I visualized how the baby will come out, his position, my cervix opening up, the baby going down, and how it will be a joyous event for everyone. True enough, that was what happened.
- Talking to the Baby—I also believe that my baby chose me to be his mommy. In the same way, he had chosen a date when to be born. So when I was 41 weeks and 3 days, I told him that I know he has his own date, but that he needed to come out very soon. He came out on my 41 weeks and 6 days.
- Walking and Moving around—This was the ultimate way to induce labor. I think it was really because of gravity that helped the baby go down and engage. The day I gave birth, I was just walking and walking until I felt the contractions became stronger. My hard work really paid off because that night I went into labor and gave birth the following day.